Wednesday, July 2, 2014

            All three viewpoints make compelling arguments, and it’s hard to align with one more than another. Technology is all around us, and as it continues to evolve. As educators, I believe we need to equip our students with the knowhow and ability to productively utilize the technology that allows them to access information. This can be hard to accomplish given the broad range of uses for devices such as smartphones, tablets and computers. These devices have the capabilities to serve as deterrents or catalysts for education. 

            As I watched the video and read the chapter, I thought of an analogy. Although, I was born, and have spent most of my life living in the United States, I don’t know everything about it. I am surrounded by patriotism – flags, T-shirts, bumper-stickers holidays, etc. – it’s all around me, all the time. But still, I don’t know all of the presidents, who my state representatives are, or all of the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner for that matter. “Digital natives” grow up in much of the same way when it comes to computers and technology. They are all around them. But to assume that they know everything about them would be false. Inequalities in schools, income, access, ect., all contribute to a person’s knowledge, practice and understanding of new technology. The same goes for education of the United States. Depending on location, access, teachers – students are exposed to different information  - some more than others, and for sure many different view points. To believe that our youth, born as “Digital natives” automatically know everything about technology is false.

No comments:

Post a Comment