Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I never had much care for cartoons or Disney movies growing up. I have never been to Disney World, nor did/do I ever feel like I was/am missing out.  I don’t mean to say that I disliked Disney movies; they just didn’t play a very big role in my life. My parents didn’t really encourage or discourage my siblings and me from watching cartoons, but as far as I can remember, my brother and sister didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to them either. My parents were pretty busy when I was younger, and they didn’t read much to us growing up. When I was old enough to pick out my own books, the Disney tales weren’t what I gravitated to, so the Disney texts never played much of a role in my life either.
           
Disney plays much more of a role in my life now, than it ever has. I have two boys – including a five year old, Kai, who loves to watch movies. He can’t get enough of anything that is one T.V. He is pretty upset that we don’t have a T.V., and that he has to watch movies on “that small screen” (the computer). One of his favorite things is to go to his grandparent’s house where he can watch movies on their big T.V. My wife does not want Kai to be exposed too much to movies that contain violence, or as she puts it, “will curb his creativity.” I have been a bit more laid back about it than she is, and it pretty much drives her crazy when in the past I have let him pick out what he wants to watch, or allow my mom to pick it. Yesterday’s class and reading this article have helped to put my wife’s opinion into a little more perspective. I don’t want my son growing up thinking that every story has to be the same: a girl needs a guy, pretty with pretty, poor with poor, rich with rich, etc. Also, I really don’t want to have to deal with the hassle, heat, and lines, and expense of Disney World.

           
 Brave challenged many of the notions that we read about in the article by Christensen. There was no prince to save the day, nor was there a need for him. The girl didn’t want what every other Disney girl wants – a man to keep her safe. In fact, all of the possible suitors were portrayed as weak. Although, Merida’s eyes did light up a bit when the movie teased the big guy as a possible suitor. Also, I feel that the movie was a bit stereotypical of Scottish culture – the drinking and the fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment